March 7, 2011

Being Creative


Share/Bookmark

blue bag
Hello! This bag traveled through the south-western French countryside with me last year before I gave it to a friend whom I visited in Paris. In the farmhouse where I sewed late at night, it was not quite a bag yet in the beginning, it was in pieces. Pieces I had cut to size so I could sew the bag before I could pass it to its intended owner. I didn't have time before my trip, so nearly all the sewing was done by hand in down time during my week spent visiting vineyards, eating foie gras and admiring everything French. The only thing I sewed before leaving home was the handle strap - by machine, thank goodness.  I was (and still am!) pretty new to sewing then so I was pretty glad at how it turned out even non-ironed. heheh. I have to say I got a bit stressed at times, I was so worried I wouldn't be able to finish it in time (I am a very slow sewer! and I was always so tired from jaunting about...) but I was so excited to share my new craft hobby with my friends.

I love the colors of the fabrics. I chose blue because it's a favorite of my friend's. I used fabric from the Olive Rose collection by Valorie Wells, coupled with Indian silk a friend got for me in Goa, and blue solid cotton for the lining inside. I even tried to do a bit of quilting on the Valorie Wells fabric. What do you think?


postcard for Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap
This heart is part of the postcard I made for the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap organised by Beth at Do What You Love. I will post photos of the full front and back of the card when I my swap partner receives it.

I am linking to the Being Creative Blog Party at Gorgeous and Fun Things and Sew Darn Crafty Party at Sew Many Ways. Hop on over to see what lovely creations other bloggers are sharing.

Thanks for reading!

if you enjoyed this post, why not...
leave me a comment
follow me / subscribe
link back
check out my other posts
visit my tumblr
visit my pinterest





by liberal sprinkles

5 comments:

Amisha said...

Hi Grace,
The bag and the heart are gorgeous. I would have thought you have been sewing for years if you hadn't said otherwise.

And the blue fabric from Goa, talk about an Indian connection! I hail from India! India has lovely, lovely fabrics.

Keep creating, do you smile every time you see your own creations even if it's a photograph? I hope you do cause it is beautiful!

Cheers,
Amisha

Fuzzy Slippers said...

Oh wow, this is beautiful! I would have thought you had been sewing for years. What a lovely story to go along with this bag. I really enjoyed reading your post. Please feel free to stop by Fuzzy Slippers Designs!

Karen Provost said...

I love the blue bag - did you draft the pattern? It is a very nice shape. Lucky recipient!

liberal sprinkles said...

thanks everyone for the kind comments. I made my own pattern, simply drawing and cutting out the shape and size I wanted. I just winged it for the rest! I had been sewing for half a year then, mostly by hand but usually smaller pouches. I think the beautiful colors distract from some of the hiccups I had!

Tricia said...

Very nice bag and heart postcard. I have made a few bags, myself, and it gives you such a great feeling when it is finished, doesn't it? I think you did a great job!

Blessings,
Tricia

Post a Comment