March 18, 2011

Book Blurb Friday


Share/Bookmark

Hi,
I’ve been reading entries for Book Blurb Friday the past few Fridays. Lisa Ricard Claro of Writing in the Buff started the meme (I didn’t even know what this was until I discovered Lisa’s blog a few weeks ago!). She posts a photo every Friday that’s the cover of the book you get to write a blurb for. You have a week to study the photo, write your blurb and then show off your 150-word-or-less masterpiece the following Friday.

I’ve had so much fun reading everyone’s writings, the creativity out there is just incredible and I get so hooked by some of the blurbs that I feel deprived I won’t get to read the whole book!

I knew I had to join Book Blurb Friday when I saw this photo by Kathy Matthews of Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy, a very prolific blogging grandmother who incidentally, has 49 (yup, 49!) blogs (read more about that here).


The idea came straight to me, but I didn’t get to put it in words until today. Now, I’ve never written a book blurb in my life. I’m pretty good at researching and writing about facts but I’ve never dared try my hand at fiction. I may just fall flat on my face but here goes…


Not all it’s Kraked up to be

Sarah Krakowski knows a good photo when she sees one. This, she told herself, was a beauty. And perfect for the mystery places photo contest at the Pastime Food Review. The editors at the magazine thought so too. They awarded Sarah first prize; the photo was published.

Within a week, Sarah’s apartment was broken into and her car engine exploded. Then she receives a note while contemplating her misfortune at the diner brought to current fame by the photo. “Forget this place if you know what’s good for you.”

The note was written on the magazine page where the award-winning photo appeared. Who was the man in white? What had Sarah witnessed? Did she hold a clue to a mystery, or a mystery photo that was going to get her killed?

(138 words including title, Microsoft Word count)


Go on over to Writing in the Buff to see what everyone else read in the photo :)

I'm going to take the opportunity to urge my readers to visit my earlier post on how you can help in the relief efforts for the disaster in Japan. There are links to resources, places to donate and over 20 raffles and auctions by artists and crafters. For as little as a few dollars, you can help. Please
click here: Japan earthquake tsunami: How to help

If you want to know more about the disaster, please visit my facts post
FACTS: Japan earthquake, tsunami, nuclear crisis March 2011

Thanks for reading!

you may also be interested in...
postcrossing & bookcrossing ~ liberal sprinkles

if you enjoyed this post, why not...
leave me a comment
follow me / subscribe
link back
check out my other posts

Buy 2 books and get our featured book FREE on a Friday!


by liberal sprinkles

16 comments:

Margo Benson said...

This is an excellent blurb - I was hooked straight away, great job!

Ellie Garratt said...

A superb blurb. It had everything you need to hook potential readers - mystery and danger. Loved it.

Lynn said...

Great job! Keep on playing. I had never written a book blurb in my life either! But I am having fun. I too am amazed at all the incredible writers out there - and like you feel deprived not being able to read the book! Thanks for all the info on Japan.

liberal sprinkles said...

thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I don't know if I can come up with something every week but this one spoke to me!

Sorry to keep going on about this but if you haven't visited my Help Japan post, please do! There are a lot of links, you can do good for so little and in any case, it takes you to a lot of eye candy!

Grace

jabblog said...

Who would think a simple photograph could cause so much trouble? Thrills and spills along the way, I think:-)

Sandra Davies said...

Excellent title and a rich and well-rounded promise of more to come.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Wow, Grace, you did wonderful job. I want to read your book! Hey, thanks for the plugs too. I think you described me well too ... prolific, lol.

Tony Benson said...

Sounds like a thrilling read. Great idea.

Tammy said...

This is another one that I can see as a book AND a movie! I would like both!

Susan Fobes said...

I would just say way to go for a first try! I loved your title and main characters name-very creative.

septembermom said...

Awesome job! Very well written :) I was engaged from the start.

Dazee Dreamer said...

So good. I liked the way you were headed. It's the kind of book that I read all the time.

Ms.Daisy said...

This was a very creative and fun blurb...the action starts right away and engages the reader to want to buy the book and run home to read it! Good one!



~Jean

Sioux Roslawski said...

The idea of a "mystery" photo is an intriguing and unique one. I would love to read this book!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Fiction may not be your usual milieu, but you sure nailed it here. Terrific, enticing blurb!

Sara MK said...

Love it!!!

Post a Comment