March 24, 2011

Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap


Share/Bookmark

the envelope before it was stamped

my great big stitched postcard!

yay my postcard has arrived in North Carolina. I made this for my swap partner in the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap organised by Beth of Do What You Love. It was my first time stitching a card and sewing on paper. I used vintage fabric I'd bought on Etsy for the background and that cute Lecien stamp fabric I saw in a craft shop when I wasn't supposed to be adding anymore fabric to my stash. I couldn't resist!  I thought it was perfect for a postcard swap. I added some embellishments: embroidered seed beads and buttons. For the envelope, I looked up the address online and printed the map, making sure I could fold it so I could point the address label to the town it was to go to :)

the back

This is the back of the card, all paper. The theme of the swap was "love" and I used a quote from Mahatma Gandhi, the Indian independence leader who advocated non-violence and peaceful resistance in the struggle against British rule:
Where there is love, there is life.
So true, don't you think? The card was sent to Antoinette Vogt. I have to say I felt a bit intimidated when I found out who get my card. Antoinette is an artist! WOW! You can see her lovely works at her Facebook page, I especially love the tree series.

Take a look at the Great Big Stitched Postcard's Flickr page to see the other gorgeous creations made for the swap. I've yet to receive mine, will post about it when I do.

I searched the Internet for love quotes when I was making the card. I wanted something that had universal appeal, signified friendship and would be an inspiration to me. I often stumble my way through life, I don't always succeed in making love rather than war, but I like to think I'll always keep trying to see, feel and share love in my life. There are some of the quotes that I liked best.

"Love is shown in your deeds, not in your words."
Father Jerome Cummings


"Love never claims, it ever gives; love never suffers, never resents, never revenges itself.
Where there is love there is life; hatred leads to destruction."
Mahatma Gandhi


"There is only one happiness in life - to love and to be loved."
George Sand


"Hate the sin and love the sinner."
Mahatma Gandi
(this is a tough one!)


"Love opens the door that hate created."
anonymous


"Come live in my heart, and pay no rent."
Samuel Lover
(I do so love this one...)


"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa


"Paradise is always where love dwells."
Jean Richter


"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
1 Corinthians, The Bible


"Love is the voice under all silences,
the hope which has no opposite in fear;
the strength so strong mere force is feebleness:
the truth more first than sun, more last than star."
E. E. Cummings
{ e.e. cummings poems }


"Love is a dream that comes alive when we meet."
Unknown
Do you have a favorite love quote? Drop me a line :)

if you enjoyed this post, why not...
leave me a comment
follow me / subscribe
link back
check out my postcard blog

Buy 2 books and get our featured book FREE on a Friday!



linking to
sew many ways CreativeShareWednesdays

by liberal sprinkles

26 comments:

Antoinette said...

What a wonderful post this is, such great quotes. I also love the one by Samuel Lover and especially the one by Mother Teresa. That's a good one for me. When I attempt to do great things, it seems, I end up unhappy, but all the little things I do, that I create, are a gift, always filled with love, and bring me much joy!

Antoinette said...

and its a wonderful postcard too, which I love. I appreciate the link back to my FB page!♥

liberal sprinkles said...

You're most welcome, Antoinette, I love to share goodies I find! I can't wait to see the full picture of the card you sent to Sri Lanka!

I think the little things we do allow us to be more personal and creative. I'll leave great things to great people or wannabes!

Shabby Soul said...

The postcards are beautiful works of art!!
p.s. I love the quote "come live i my heart, and pay no rent" too!

Lynn said...

Such creativity! And I love the quotes!

iHanna said...

Awesome postcard, I think it's beautiful and very romantic. :-) You must join my swap next year, hehe.

liberal sprinkles said...

Hanna, yeah it's too bad I missed this round but I'm subscribed to your blog now. Your creativity astounds me!

Thanks, Shabby Soul and Lynn!

Colette said...

I love that stamp fabric you used - gorgeous card and I love that quote.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, I love your postcard--it is gorgeous!!! Happy Pink Saturday!!
XO

Holly said...

I always wanted to try and make a fabric postcard - yours is inspirational and in my favorite color combination!
Happy Pink Saturday!

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

You created an amazing piece! I will have to try one, one day!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Jil

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Happy Pink Saturday!


These postcards are very sweet!


~ Gabriela ~

Anonymous said...

I love mail art. It is so much fun. I send mail art all the time on notecards and envelopes and trading cards. It is so much fun and makes the mailman smile! You did a great job -- Keep stitching in time. Terri www.moringdewdrops.typepad.com

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Aren't swaps fun? I just posted an envelope swap I participated in. Your postcard is wonderful and I am certain the recipient loved it. I'm a new follower.

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Pink Saturday!

I absolutely love all of your quotes.

I am hosting an auction on my blog of vintage and antique linens ~some are pink! :)

Come by and take a peek.

Char said...

This is just wonderful. What a great talent and a fun post. Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

The postcard is awesome. Sounds like a lot of fun! I am your newest follower and I will be back!

Happy PS,
Jacalyn

jeanne said...

Love your stitched postcard. You did a wonderful job and the quote is perfect. I hopeyours will be as creative as your. Smile.

Your quotes of love are uplifting. Mine or someone's quote is "Love makes the world go round." I love this one.
Hugs, Jeanne

jeanne said...

Oops typos. I hope your postcard will be as creative as 'yours' was when you receive it. Now, that is what I meant to say.HA!
Jeanne, again

Rebecca Nelson said...

You, my friend, are unbelievably creative! Beautiful!

Happy Pink Saturday!

xoRebecca

Jori said...

Happy Pink Saturday!! LOVELY quotes and postcards!! I am following you!!

Annesphamily said...

I like this take on love and I absolutely love the fabric postcard. I wish I had such wonderful talent. I always am involved in a postcard swap but this one is so wonderful. HSP! Anne

paintedlady89 said...

I love your postcards!
Happy Pink Saturday
Here is my love quote for you...From The Hidden Words of Bab'u'llah....
Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest me not, my love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.
Gigi

nono said...

Such a wonderful idea. I love it!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Beautiful quotes! Thank you for joining my Friday Pretties Party this week.
Very Pretty!!!
Joyce

Pamela said...

Oh I love quotes. Some of these are new to me. I used a Mother Teresa quote on my last post. One amazing woman. The postcards are beyond amazing.

New follower from the blog hop.

Post a Comment