April 4, 2011

Joanna S. Rose quilt exhibition and Austin Kleon


Share/Bookmark

I found two fantastic things this morning I just had to share.

[1]  An amazing 651-quilt collection was displayed last week at the Park Avenue Armory in New York in Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts, an exhibition organized by the American Folk Art Museum. The quilts, all red and white, belong to Joanna S. Rose, a New York collector. The largest quilt exhibition ever held in NYC filled the 55,000 sq foot hall to a height of 50 feet. If laid flat the quilts would stretch
from the Park Avenue Armory (between East 66th and 67th streets) for at least 20 blocks to East 46th, according to a rough calculation by the New York Times. Mrs Rose actually has over 1,300 quilts in her collection. Imagine how far that would go!


Red and White quilts at Park Avenue Armory by bigrigquilting (YouTube) to harp music :)

You can see pictures of the quilts at the American Folk Art Museum's flickr page
and read about the show at Finally, Mrs. Rose (and the public) can see all her quilts (New York Times)
[ found at thelongthread ]


[2]  The second amazing thing I found today is a blogpost by writer/author Austin Kleon, an inspirational piece on 10 creeds an artist should live by. Among them: steal others' ideas (this is really about inspiration, I'm writing a post on that! coming soon...); don't wait until you know who you are to start making things; do good work and put it where people can see it (this is really not as easy as it sounds!).

He has lots of advice, you may not agree with all of them but it's an enlightening piece and well-written. Have a look at How to steal like an artist (and 9 other things nobody told me).



Hope you enjoy these as much as I did. Thanks for reading.

if you enjoyed this post, why not...
leave me a comment
follow me / subscribe / subscribe by email
link back
check out my other posts

I have this fantastic book on the right
by Kathreen Ricketson of Whip Up,
it's a great modern take on quilts.


Related links
Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts (American Folk Art Museum)
The installation of Infinite Variety by Thinc Design (click on "about our work")
Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts (Pat Sloan)


by liberal sprinkles

6 comments:

Felicity said...

Thank you for sharing - that in ONE serious obsession with red and white quilts - hardly fathomable, lovely as they are.

Felicity x

liberal sprinkles said...

They remind me a little of red French toile, Felicity.

I cannot imagine 651 quilts, never mind the colors!

Grace

Design Elements said...

so many quilts! lovely greetings

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I wanted to attend this show but was obligated by a few other commitments. I enjoyed watching the Youtube video about it.

You have a wonderful blog -- I'm becoming a follower.

Lynn said...

I have a friend who quilts - I will have to tell her about this post!

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

Post a Comment