April 29, 2011

Light and Darkness (Book Blurb Friday)


Share/Bookmark

I finally got my act together for Book Blurb Friday, I've missed the last few but here's one for this week.
Book Blurb Friday is hosted by Lisa Ricard Claro at Writing in the Buff. Every week, she posts a photo which is a prompt for a 150-word-or-less book cover blurb. This photo was taken by her daughter, Christina Claro.



Light and darkness

When she puts on her tinted glasses, Monica Teller can look into someone's soul . What some might see as an invaluable ability, she sees as a curse.  For not only do love, kindness and charity fill her vision, so do hate, depravity and malice. After years of suffering feelings of callousness and wickedness, she’s had enough. Though she is literally blind without her glasses, she is determined to start life anew in darkness. Fearlessly, she crushes her cursed tools. But cursed she is, for she finds that her seeing ability has not deserted her; in fact, it’s strengthened. What more can Monica see that she can’t run away from? Will she survive her dark ordeal to see light in her new life?
(125 words)


Thanks for reading, please leave me a comment if you enjoyed this. There are links to some of my posts below.
You can get updates from this blog by
subscribing in a reader
following me (click on the Google Friend Connect "follow this blog" button at the top of my sidebar) or
subscribing by email through this form

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Recent posts
100,000 toothpick replica of San Francisco
Copyright, crediting, plagiarism and blog ethics
Going West animation for New Zealand Book Council

Related posts
my other Book Blurb Fridays
my book-related posts


by liberal sprinkles

13 comments:

Sandra Davies said...

Creepy idea this!

Ellie Garratt said...

Poor, poor, Monica. This sounds delicously dark and I love it!

Book Blurb Friday

jabblog said...

Oh, Monica, what have you done??

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Grace, that is a great story! I hope that she gets it all figured out so that things work best for her. I want to find out more. I wonder if blind people see aura's or can sense them ... I've never thought about that before.

SJerZGirl said...

This is a very interesting concept for a book. Really. I'd be interested in reading more about her.

A Jersey Girl Writes

SJerZGirl said...

This is a really unique concept for a book. I'd definitely be interested in reading it.

A Jersey Girl Writes

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Wonderfully creative take on the photo! I agree with all of the above...unique, creepy, deliciously dark...Mmmmm! Sounds like a delicious read.

P.S. Glad you're back---you were missed!

Tammy said...

Love the shadiness of it all! Your word plays are first-rate!

Lynn said...

Definitely want to read more of this!

liberal sprinkles said...

Thank you for the comments and encouragement! Fiction is a real stretch for me, succinctness too! It's so hard to come up with anything that makes sense in so few words and I have to admit I draw total blanks with some photos so I don't always manage to write a blurb but I try and read everybody's contributions every week even if I don't do my own!
Grace

Susan Fobes said...

I love what you did with this! And she chooses blindness but still "sees?" Very creative!

Kay L. Davies said...

This is far-out fiction — but very well done. An excellent take on the prompt.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Grandma's Goulash said...

The curse of that vision reminds me of Sookie Stackhouse in Dead Until Dark. Her method of dealing with the problem makes for a very different and engaging tale.

Post a Comment