May 21, 2011

Love and Family: La Maison en Petits Cubes (Oscar winner)


Share/Bookmark

La Maison en Petits Cubes

This is such a beautiful film. It gets going very slowly; I wondered at the start why I was watching it (and how it could have won an Oscar) but I'm glad I didn't close the window. I've watched it three times running, my nose is red and blocked, my tears are still rolling down my cheeks.

There is zero dialogue. The colors are muted. The animation is grainy. There is very little action. But this visually wonderful animation is a powerful reminder of what's important in life. Watch it, weep and go hug your loved ones.


La Maison en Petits Cubes on Vimeo

La Maison en Petits Cubes (つみきのいえ, Tsumiki no Ie?, "The House of Small Cubes") is a 2008 Japanese animated short subject film created by Katō Kunio, with music by Kenji Kondo. It won the grand prize for short films (the Annecy Cristal) at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival in 2008 and the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film in 2009.


[watch Logorama, Oscar winner for Best Animated Short 2010]


Please leave me a comment if you enjoyed this.
You can follow me on Twitter or get updates from this blog by
following me (click on the Google Friend Connect "follow this blog" button at the top of my sidebar) or
subscribing by email through this form


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner




by liberal sprinkles