June 21, 2011

masking tape card swap


Share/Bookmark

papercrafting with washi / masking tape


I made some postcards a couple weeks ago for a card swap I was invited to join. The theme of the swap, organized by Lay Hoon of Mescrap, was masking or washi tape, those cute Japanese printed tapes. I first came across these wonders during a trip to Tokyo a couple years ago and fell in love immediately. They are so cute and flexible, you can use them for everything: as tape, as decoration, for loads of crafts.

These are the cards I came up with (front and back):


card #1
card #1














card #2
card #2














card #3


card #4
card #4

I started off with a lot more sewing, which is what I do more of. The front part of the first card I made is a patchwork of different vintage fabrics bought from Etsy. I sticked some masking tapes at the back, a nice contrast to the sewn stitches.

I didn't have any idea how the cards would look, I didn't plan or design anything upfront, just went with the flow. I really like how the second card turned out. I started by sewing a pattern stitch frame, then I went on to divide the card into panels using the same stitch and the same beige/gold thread. It made me think of vines and I had that green stripe tape which I thought would look good in between. It makes me think of being in a garden. Love it. I would definitely use the same or a similar design for party invites or to give away as a set.

For the third card, I sewed a border again and then used masking tape to create the message. I added the triangles banner (made with tape) later to add a little oomph. I liked the card even without the banner (and I would recreate this one, too) but I thought it might look a little plain to a crafts/journaling person. Next time, I'll use a non-white background to create more depth.

The last card was the only one that didn't come into contact with any thread. All paper. and it's "wrapped" up as a gift with a cute yellow tape. The tied up "ribbon" on the back of the card can be fluffed up to make it look like a knotted ribbon. I like this one a lot, too.

I had to use the same tapes on most of the cards since I don't actually have that many different rolls. I would love to get more but I don't do paper craft enough to justify adding to my stash!

I wrote on the back of the cards, heheh. I hope that doesn't upset the recipients!



please leave me a message if you enjoyed this.
You can follow me on Twitter or get updates from this blog by
following me (click on the Google Friend Connect "follow this blog" button at the top of my sidebar) or
subscribing by email through this form


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner




by liberal sprinkles