August 23, 2011

Collage Couture by Julie Nutting [book review]


Share/Bookmark

Collage Couture: Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art
buy: amazon | the book depository (free shipping worldwide)


Collage Couture by Julie Nutting

OK. I'm so NOT a girly person but I love this book! It's so pretty and I spent way too much time gazing at the pretty collage girls and all the cuteness inside when I saw it at my library. How could you not love them? Lookee..

Denim girl
Collage Couture
Chocolate strawberries
Collage Couture
Postcard from Paris
Collage Couture

I found this an interesting and unusual book on collage and mixed media craft projects, the fashion angle is so fun and creative! I love author Julie Nutting's fashion sense her and fun, casual writing style, and the book is so nicely illustrated with color photos of both the works and the instructions.

But it's not all eye candy. I'm not at all competent at drawing so I appreciated the basic lessons in drawing body shapes, poses and parts of the body like the eyes and lips. You'll also learn various techniques and get ideas for making collages, for instance stamping, painting with a sponge, decoupaging and using a brayer. If you scrapbook, you'll be familiar with these processes but there are plenty of great ideas here and the execution is excellent. The tutorials for the projects are comprehensive and Nutting takes you from beginning to end, with every step illustrated with visuals. She also makes suggestions for alternative embellishments but with some creativity, you could easily adapt the projects to suit your style and mood.

Apart from the girls on canvas projects, there is also a chapter on making "less messy" collages for frames and another chapter on creating cute gifts like bookmarks or altered books. Here are a few photos of the projects...

Collage Couture

Collage Couture

... and examples of the tips and instruction pages.

Collage Couture

Collage Couture

You can see more of the author's works at the Julie Nutting Design website or her blog.

This gorgeous book brought me a lot of pleasure even though it's so not me. I've actually sat down to start a collage of a dolled-up girl though I usually shy away from such girly prettiness. I wish I could keep every book I loved. I'd have to run a library or a bookstore! I haven't yet decided if I will buy this one (you know, I'm one of those people who spend ages flipping through a book or trying on clothes, walk out the store and then return the next day because I can't help myself!) but I'm definitely keeping the library copy - and renewing it if I haven't succumbed by then.




Collage Couture: Techniques for Creating Fashionable Art
Author: Julie Nutting
Publisher: North Light Books (June 5, 2011)
ISBN: 978-1440308314


buy at:
amazon
the book depository (free shipping worldwide)




More pages from the book from Google Preview




[ check out my book reviews ]
[ check out my posts on books ]
[ check out my posts on art ]



please leave me a message if you enjoyed this.
You can follow me on Twitter, Pinterest, or get updates from this blog by
following me (click on the Google Friend Connect "follow this blog" button at the top of my sidebar) or
subscribing by email through this form




Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner





by liberal sprinkles